Friday, February 22, 2013

Pepper Parrot's Problem with Patience: A Captain No Beard Story (Volume 2)


My children were introduced to Captain No Beard a few weeks ago. Captain No Beard's first tale was captivating and took me by surprise. Reading it almost daily has inspired many new adventures with my kids. The words in the first book never change, but they (almost magically) seem to push my children to be more creative and imagine even greater adventures on their own every time they read it. It has inspired creativity and strengthened the bonds of brothers. My once always (or so it seemed) arguing kids didn't always work together so well. There are almost five years between them. Captain No Beard seems to have worked wonders by bridging the gap and allowing them to find common ground when they play. Sure they played together in the past but it wasn't long before I would find myself stepping in to sort something out. It hasn't been quieter around my house, but it has been happier since Captain No Beard moved in.

 I recently read the charming story Pepper Parrot's Problem with Patience: A Captain No Beard Story (Volume 2) and it didn't let me down. The Flying Dragon, the captain and his crew are back and ready to set sail on a new adventure! Like the first story, Pepper Parrot's Problem with Patience teaches children many valuable lessons. Carole P. Roman, the author of the series, does a wonderful job teaching children to cope with their problems in a gentle and loving way. Pepper reminds me of my younger child. When he fails at any task, he usually has a meltdown and sometimes he needs help to sort out his feelings. "Being a captain is hard work," but so is being the little brother, a new kid, or any kid that may be different. Many kids will relate to this story because so many can identify with Pepper. When Pepper gets picked on because she can't tell her left from her right, we see how simple words can hurt another person. I think one of the most important lessons taught by this book is to be supportive and help each other out instead of drawing attention to another person's failures. This book is great for all ages. It is a story that teaches the importance of understanding and patience. It also teaches children the importance of having compassion for others and working as a team.  There is some repetition which my little one loved and there's also a lesson about a word having more than one meaning. Captain No Beard keeps getting better and better. The books are memorable and already a favorite. My four year old can't get enough! Get Pepper Parrot's Problem with Patience: A Captain No Beard Story (Volume 2) on Amazon. You can also follow Carole P. Roman and Captain No Beard on Facebook.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book in order to complete this review. A favorable review was not required.


No comments: