Saturday, October 6, 2012

We Like Our Candy Unjunked, Thank You!


My kids, especially my youngest, have a sweet tooth. They get that from me. We are not picky when it comes to candy. While I do try to limit what comes into the house (if I didn't Sam would EAT IT ALL!) I still feel bad about some of the ingredients in candy. We try to steer clear of artificial anything in "real" food, but with candy, I didn't see a huge assortment of candy that was healthy. While I do like some of the organic candy I've tried, let's face it, the bad stuff is more readily available and it tastes good. I didn't even mention price. Organic chocolates can break the bank if you like them as much as we do! When I was asked to try Unreal candy, I thought I would like it. I just didn't know how much! I hosted a small get-together and we all tried some of the Unreal candy.

Check out this awesome video!




Unreal candy has taken many of our favorite candies and made "unjunked" alternatives. Candy Coated Chocolates were a favorite for several of us and my husband loves the Peanut Butter Cups. Each candy is made with real ingredients, less sugar and without hydrogenated oil, corn syrup, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. Unreal candy is the tasty end-result of a fight that broke out between father and son on Halloween in 2010. The father-son dispute began when Nicky, then 13, returned home from trick-or-treating with a big bag of candy. His dad, Michael, insisted that he throw away half of it; telling his son to read the labels on his stash to discover just how much junk existed in the candy. I like Nicky. I would want to fight if someone tried to take away my candy too! Nicky read the labels, but still didn't believe his Dad. "It took me a while to admit it," Nicky said. "After lots of research, I realized that my dad was right (for once)."
I didn't think an unjunked candy bar would ever taste so good. It does and the difference is tremendous! Everyone thought the unjunked versions of their favorite candy was better than the original. I think the Candy Coated Chocolates are my new favorite! The chocolate is richer and much more intense. It didn't leave a weird waxy feeling in my mouth like some other paraffin filled chocolates. Just eating the Unreal Candy made me realize how much "junk" is in "the other stuff." I couldn't help but oooh and ahhh over the colors! I LOVE them! We all did! There are five varieties of Unreal candy:
  • UNREAL 41: Candy Coated Chocolates;
  • UNREAL 54: Candy Coated Chocolates with Peanuts;
  • UNREAL 77: Peanut Butter Cups;
  • UNREAL 5: Chocolate Caramel Nougat Bar; and
  • UNREAL 8: Chocolate Peanut Caramel Nougat Bar.
Each of the candies feature familiar tastes, but contain 45 percent less sugar, 13 percent less fat, 23 percent fewer calories, 149 percent more protein and 250 percent more fiber than industry leading brands, on average per unit. Bottom line-It does taste better. While I still like the other "stuff" and will probably buy it from time to time, I could see myself being completely unjunked IF they started selling this in more stores here. I did go on a little shopping spree to Walgreens (which is a little out of the way for us) and I found some at the end of one of the aisles. I almost missed it because I looked in the candy aisle first. When I didn't find it, I searched in the health food (protein bars) section of the store. No luck. I did spot it on my way out and found it to be reasonably priced. The candy sizes seem to be a little smaller than the alternatives, but since it's unjunked, I just consider it more concentrated goodness!
Unreal candy is available at CVS/Pharmacy, Staples, Kroger, Target, BJ's Wholesale Club, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, and Michael's.

Disclosure: Party supplies and compensation provided by Global Influence and UNREAL Candy.

No comments: