Thursday, November 15, 2012

Get Ready For An Adventure! The Hidden Chamber In The Great Sphinx!

I was recently given the chance to review The Hidden Chamber In The Great Sphinx. The book was written by one of the greatest young adult authors, Linda Cadose. I didn't know how great until I began reading the pages of her book. Before the book arrived, I expected it to be a good book that delivered a little action and adventure. Egypt and ancient mysteries-it had to be good! Was it going to be great though? I really didn't know. I love history and I find my appreciation growing each year. Maybe that's because I am getting a little historic myself! I couldn't wait to get started!

I began reading one quiet afternoon and quickly realized this book offers more than just a story. It offers an education! The story line isn't filled with "wasted words" to make it longer than it really is. No, it's filled with valuable and factual information to support the characters and plot. I appreciated the fact that the author took the time to take me on a journey and not leave me on the side of the road, either because I wasn't following all the technical terms or because I was just lost. She held my hand and we went on the journey together. Children will appreciate this because too often, they are left behind by an author that takes on the mindset to "look it up" if you don't understand it. I was amazed at the amount of information I was absorbing, and I think Linda Cadose should be nominated for a teacher-of-the-year award because she has the ability to deliver so much information without a child ever suspecting that they are learning something! I wish I could pull that off! This book is the perfect mix of fact and fiction and it kept me entertained while I followed the likable characters on their amazing journey.

American archaeologist Dr. Cliff Post and his friend, Egyptian archaeologist Dr. Abdul Saad discover a hidden chamber in the right paw of the Great Sphinx. Inside, they find an ancient supercomputer left there thousands of years ago by ancient aliens. While I'm personally on the fence when it comes to aliens, I found the book to be thoughtful and well written. The alien theory makes a lot of sense, but don't worry about your children being becoming overnight believers. They will enjoy the theory, hopefully as much as I did! Cadose introduces children to the fascinating world of ancient Egypt in this book and even though it is written primarily for middle grade readers, I found myself not wanting to put it down. It's a modern day adventure that offers a glimpse into the world of the ancient Egyptians. It's obvious that the author has a passion for Egypt. I think she shares that passion with anyone reading her book. It's a little gift that your children can take away, long after they close the cover. Don't count on it staying closed for long though. It's worth reading again! Get it at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and AuthorHouse! It's also available as an e-book!

Official synopsis:

Two archaeologists, one American and one Egyptian, discover a hidden chamber in the right paw of the Great Sphinx. Inside the chamber, they discover an ancient supercomputer composed of 13 crystal skulls left there thousands of years ago by ancient aliens. A terrorist group calling itself the Islamic Nation steals the supercomputer and kidnaps the protagonist, Dr. Cliff Post. Will he survive? Will the supercomputer be found?


“I believe that children's books should be educational as well as entertaining. My book teaches children about ancient artifacts and discusses the advanced technology that the ancient Egyptians possessed,” Cadose says.

The Hidden Chamber In The Great Sphinx is the first in a series featuring the adventures of American archaeologist, Dr. Cliff Post. Be sure to read the second in the series, The Underwater Pyramid in the Bermuda Triangle. 

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book in order to complete this review. A favorable review was not required.

No comments: