Monday, August 23, 2010

It's Simply Better Beef!

Years ago I thought beef was beef and it all tasted about the same. Different cuts of beef meant tender or tough and that dictated the way it should be cooked. Bright red stickers told me if a particular package was great for grilling or better slow cooked. It wasn't until my first bite of Kobe Beef that I realized there was a difference and not all beef was the same. That previously tipsy (okay, maybe it only had one or two drinks) cow had lived a life of leisure. Massaged daily and serenaded with beautiful music, that cow's diet and lack of stress definitely altered the taste and changed the way I looked at beef. Obviously, I couldn't afford to stock my freezer with Kobe Beef so I continued shopping at my local supermarket, disappointed with the options.
Later, I was introduced to mail order foods and I began searching online for a better beef. I found La Cense Beef and contacted them about a possible review. I learned a lot from their site. Instead of grain fed beef, they offered a natural option that was better for me and better for the environment. True grass fed beef. Not grass fed and then finished with grain like other "grass fed beef". La Cense Beef is grass fed from start to finish. No pesticides, antibiotics, or hormones. Their Montana raised cattle eat...grass. Isn't that what cows are supposed to eat? Yes. But most cows are fed grain, which isn't natural at all.
Grain is difficult to digest, which can necessitate the use of antibiotics. That leads to stress, and stress can lead to more antibiotics and more medication. Humane treatment means low stress levels and better health. Speaking of health, grass fed beef is lower in both fat and calories! This heart-healthy, lower calorie option is also higher in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for enhancing heart health and reducing the risk of arthritis, obesity, insulin resistance, allergies and autoimmune diseases. It's also higher in beta-carotene, which is helpful in reducing the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
But for true beef connoisseurs, that doesn't mean a whole lot. Fear not beef lovers, La Cense Beef has a unique flavor and depth that I didn't expect. It's lightly marbled and you cook it at lower temperatures for less time. Because there was less fat, I expected a dryer steak with less flavor. I couldn't have been more wrong. It's tender and juicy, and the taste is as genuine as it gets. Taste the difference for yourself. Eat beef the way it was meant to be eaten!
Disclosure: I was sent a package in order to complete a review. The review will be provided in an upcoming post. I was not obligated to provide this introduction. No monetary compensation received and honest opinions given. Images courtesy of La Cense Beef.

No comments: