Saturday, May 23, 2009

Eat Healthier With Cuisinart!!!

I've been preyed upon by common chickens. The ones conveniently placed by the deli, anxiously awaiting hungry shoppers. I walk by and often grab one to take home. It's quick and it's easy. After all, it's healthier than a bucket of fried chicken, pizza, or Chinese food with loads of MSG. We convinced ourselves that rotisserie chicken is healthy. But when was the last time you looked in the bottom of that plastic container and witnessed an excessive amount liquid fat, and that oh, so good chicken soaking it up like water on a hot day? It kind of defeats the purpose. Last week when my Williams-Sonoma catalog arrived, I sat down for a little quiet "me" time to skim the pages. The first thing that caught my eye was a shiny new countertop rotisserie made by my friends, Cuisinart. My first thought was "Oooh, I want that!" Followed by "I'd hate to clean it!" After this sleek, sophisticated unit arrived on my doorstep, I tore into it. I was like a kid at Christmas. I was ready for it, and had the grocery bill to prove it. The Cuisinart Electric Rotisserie was in perfect condition. It is a little bulky, but it tucks neatly into a corner on my countertop. The unit looks great! Here are the impressive features:
Programmable electronic touchpad controls with LCD readout 5 preset oven temperature settings: 325°F, 350°F, 400°F, 425°F, and 450°F 3-hour countdown timer with auto shut-off
Brushed stainless steel housing
Accessories include: 8-piece skewer set, Roasting rack, Poultry tower, Multipurpose basket, Drip tray
Produces healthier and more delicious food
Drains away unwanted fat or grease into a drip tray
Roasts up to 8 pounds
Nonstick interior
Interior light with On/Off switch
Easy clean unit with dishwasher safe accessories
Recipe book
Limited 3-year warranty
In anticipation of it's arrival, I bought a hefty 4 1/2 pound chicken. When the Cuisinart Electric Rotisserie arrived, I washed all the accessories and I was ready to put it to the test. I settled on a nice rub, courtesy of the Cuisinart Recipe Book. After placing my chicken on the Poultry Tower, I secured it with a few of the included skewers. It worked perfectly since I failed to purchase butcher's twine. I then placed the tower onto the drip pan, which I had previously put inside the unit. The drip pan just lays inside. It's very similar in design to a microwave turntable. I expected some high end latch system for the door, but it was made to simply open and close. I turned the unit on and set the temperature to 350. I set the timer for an hour and a half. I love the timer's countdown feature! When my family wants to know when dinner will be ready, a quick look is all it takes. Looking through the clear front panel, I noticed a slow and gentle turning. The unit is virtually silent. The mouthwatering scents coming from your kitchen draw a crowd and for those that are curious, a light inside will come on at the touch of a button. When the timer has finished the countdown, the rotisserie automatically shuts off. After allowing my chicken to rest a few minutes, I transferred it with ease to a carving board. The drip pan was full of unhealthy fats which were quickly discarded! Dinner was amazing. The chicken was cooked to perfection. It turned out much better than store bought varieties. Crisp on the outside, it was moist and juicy inside! Everyone loved it! After dinner, I headed towards the kitchen to tackle the job of cleaning the unit. I was expecting to pull out the gloves and use a lot of elbow grease. The drip pan cleaned up with zero scrubbing. It virtually wiped clean with a paper towel. I suspected that the interior had been splattered with oils and baked on. Boy, was I wrong. It was pretty easy to clean too. I wiped it down with a damp cloth and mild detergent. The rest of the accessories were placed in the dishwasher. Since I always "wash" my dishes first, the stainless steel accessories were the hardest to clean. Nothing was stuck on, but I did run the dish cloth over each and every inch. It was no more than any dishwasher could handle. The next time I want quick and easy, I'll bring something home and put it in the Cuisinart Electric Rotisserie. By the time I'm finished unloading groceries and heating side dishes, dinner will be ready. A healthy dinner at that! The Cuisinart Electric Rotisserie is perfect for Stuffed Cornish Hens, chicken, lamb, beef, and pork. The basket makes it easy to create wonderful fish entrees and flavorful side dishes such as Roasted Asparagus and Roasted Corn Medallions. Or finish it off with an elegant dessert, Maple Glazed Peaches with vanilla ice cream! Buy your Cuisinart Electric Rotisserie and enjoy healthier eating!

No comments: